Sunday, November 21, 2021

SCOTUS History

 


After reading the attached article highlighting the history of the United States Supreme Court system, I came away with a lot of takeaways about a pivotal branch of the government that I did not know very much about before. This article provides a solid foundation and overview of the operations of the Supreme Court as well as the historical context.

Certainly the most surprising thing that I learned is that the Supreme Court was not able to meet in New York City on its originally planned day due to transportation delays (the horses were slow!!). It also was fascinating that the first case was about a farmer's dispute. Often today the Supreme Court is only concerned with the most high priority cases of importance and to think that the origins were just about a farmer is incredible.

I learned also that the number of justices has fluctuated from six to ten, to the current nine now. It is very interesting to know that so many critical moments in the United States history, including civil liberties and presidential impeachments have been decided by the total 115 judges that have severed on the Supreme Court.

This definitely changed the way I view the court as it gives me a broader knowledge on how it came to be and some of the cases that it has tackled. The most important take-away about the court is that it is in place to check the other branches of the United States government and to introduce some famous as well as current judges and cases they have decided on.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Post

My relationship with the internet: I would like to first note that I am writing this without checking my screen time, I think those might be...