Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Where I Get My News

I value getting news from credible, reliable outlets that align with my values. Here are my top 5 news sources and why I consistently choose each one.



Source 1: ESPN
https://www.espn.com/
Although ESPN is only one category of news, it is a hugely important piece of keeping myself connected to what matters most in my world every single day. So much of my life revolves around my favorite sports teams. 

Usually when I first wake up, I open the ESPN App up and visit the pages of in-season teams that I am a fan of. For example, as of now I click on the tabs for the New York Giants, New York Rangers and Boston Celtics and if they have played the night before and I did not finish watching a game, check the scores. From there I try to read at least one article about the teams if they are in season, and continue reading if there are any more updates.

I then will click on the homepage within the app to see other major scores and stories throughout the different leagues. I will typically take a look at off-season teams, as of now the Boston Red Sox, every couple of days. The notifications from the app to update on games and important sports news is one of my favorite features, so these things can come to me during busy days without actively having to look. Sports are such a huge part of my life both personally and socially, so keeping myself updated in one centralized location every morning is critical to me.


Source 2: CNN
https://www.cnn.com/


I recently stayed in Atlanta right next to the CNN Tower. After thinking about where I get my news, I realized after seeing the tower how prominent CNN is in today's society. 

CNN has an email list that my parents have gotten since I was little that includes "5 things you need to know about today". I often find my parents sending me things from this list and this is such a great tool to educate readers on a daily basis with what is important.

I do, however, realize the bias that CNN is famous for. Although this is a liberal leaning news outlet, I hardly ever choose to read about politics from any source and am purposefully very removed from today's political climate, for better or for worse. I believe it is important to recognize this biases while still believing that CNN is an easy source to locate some of today's biggest general stories in many different categories of current events.


Source 3: The New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/


Growing up, my family has always had a subscription to the New York Times, and as we all share an Apple ID, I have access to the subscription within the Apple News App.

The New York Times is informative and always stays up to date with various different sources. The Times is 170 years old and entrusted by so much of society. There are even some pieces on sports, especially New York sports as well as the music industry which is a huge interest of mine.

Being a paper from New York, it obviously tends to lean left as well. However, I feel that because it is so vast, there are many varying opinions and diversity of thought. I plan on living around NYC after college, so I enjoy the New York specific news.


Source 4: The Boston Globe
https://www.bostonglobe.com/
 

Being from New Hampshire half an hour away from Boston, the memories of my parents getting The Boston Globe physically and flipping through the pages will forever be engrained in me. In my house, we have some covers saved from Red Sox World Series wins, a Celtics championship in 2008 cover and also the Boston Marathon bombing. These moments were so fundamental to growing up how I did and where I did.

I love being able to stay connected to where I am from while I am away and also have the Boston Globe subscription from my parents on my phone. There is always something locally to catch up on and I love reading things about food and experiences in the area.

I follow The Boston Globe on Twitter and like to see how they include different stories from all throughout New England, not just Boston. Recently, their tribute to Red Sox legend Jerry Remy really touched me.


Source 5: Rolling Stone

https://www.rollingstone.com/

When my grandfather died, my family inherited literally hundreds of Rolling Stone installations. By the time my dad and I spent days upon days flipping through the pages of this magazine, we knew that the subscription needed to continue.

I am a huge fan of many different kinds of music, from rap, to country, to Foo Fighters. I love the link to rock classics and today's music that the magazine always highlights. Rolling Stone's website is also updated with the most current stories related to the music industry.

Although this source is just about music, I love getting to read about all the different genres and what is relevant in the industry. I am very strongly considering a career within music business, so this is perfect for me to gain more knowledge within the field's current climate.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Post

My relationship with the internet: I would like to first note that I am writing this without checking my screen time, I think those might be...